Passing different binding parameters to a multi-prog application
Oliver Fortmeier
2014-10-09 11:39:39 UTC
Dear all,

We would like to execute a MPMD program by srun which is basically possible using the "--multi-prog" option for srun. Let's assume, we only have two different executables which should be executed by a single srun command (so, the same "MPI_COMM_WORLD" is used).

Is it possible to pass different binding parameters (e.g., different --cpu_bind=mask_cpu:<mask1>,<mask2>,...) and/or environment variables to the different executables specified in the multiple program configuration?

For instance,
- one of the executables is using MPI processes and OpenMP threads whereas the second executable only uses MPI processes. Here, we would like give a different cpu_bin=mask_cpu for the different executables.
- both executables are hyprib MPI/OpenMP programs where OMP_NUM_THREADS should be set to 2 for the first executable and the second executable should fork 4 OpenMP threads. Here, we would like to pass different environment variables (OMP_NUM_THREADS) to the executables.

Please note that with, e.g., IntelMPI this is possible because -env can be specified for every executable.

Best regards,
Oliver
Bull GmbH
Sitz Köln, Amtsgericht Köln, HR B 8173
Ust-Id-Nr.: DE 121965133, WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 64193985
Geschäftsführer: Gerd-Lothar Leonhart, Michael Heinrichs, Philippe Miltin
Zentrale:
51149 Köln, Von-der-Wettern-Strasse 27
Telefon: +49 (0) 2203 305-0
Telefax: +49 (0) 2203 305-1699
http://www.bull.de

Bull, an Atos company
** Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/bull_de
** Bull Firmenprofil bei XING: https://www.xing.com/companies/bullgmbh

This e-mail contains material that is confidential for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all co
Ulf Markwardt
2014-10-09 14:03:44 UTC
Dear Oliver,

in http://slurm.schedmd.com/SUG14/roadmap.pdf, the slides "Asymmetric
Resources" show that there is something planned along these lines for
the future releases.

Kind regards,
Ulf
Dr. Ulf Markwardt

Technische Universität Dresden
Center for Information Services and High Performance Computing (ZIH)
01062 Dresden, Germany

Phone: (+49) 351/463-33640 WWW: http://www.tu-dresden.de/zih