question on changing Partition priority
Blosch, Edwin L
2014-10-16 15:08:43 UTC
I have a partition 'test' defined in slurm.conf with Priority=4.

If I use scontrol update PartitionName=test Priority=5, I can see that it changes the priority as shown with 'scontrol show partition'. That's good.

But it does not alter the Priority=4 value in slurm.conf. If I would restart slurm, is it safe to assume that the value would go back to 4? Or is there some cleverness hidden in the saved state of the daemons that would still keep Priority=5 in effect after restart? Or perhaps the slurm.conf file gets amended, when the daemon shuts down normally?

Thanks for insights as to how this works...

Ed
Trey Dockendorf
2014-10-16 15:41:39 UTC
Depends on your configuration. slurm.conf ReconfigFlags can change the
behavior. I believe the default is that a 'scontrol reconfig' or a restart
of slurm would restore the values in slurm.conf. Using scontrol will not
modify slurm.conf, but as you discovered can be used to modify the running
configuration.

- Trey

=============================

Trey Dockendorf
Systems Analyst I
Texas A&M University
Academy for Advanced Telecommunications and Learning Technologies
Phone: (979)458-2396
Ed
Doug Parisek
2014-10-20 17:44:51 UTC
A new feature was added to slurm 14.11.0pre5 that saves your running config to a file in the form of “slurm.conf.<datetime>”. The new command that provides this is “scontrol write config”. It reads your internal configuration settings including all defaults and writes them to the output file. The output file is written to the same directory as your slurm.conf. You can then rename the saved config file to slurm.conf if you are satisfied with it.

#> scontrol write config
Slurm config saved to /app/slurm/dhp/install/etc/slurm.conf.2014-10-20T10:21:18