"dummy" slurm for PC
Sakhile Masoka
2014-09-23 19:34:32 UTC
Hi

I want to install SLURM on my Macbook pro and Windows machine for testing
purposes. The Center is considering moving to SLURM and I want to try it
out before I install it on my test cluster. Is there a "dummy" version I
can download and test policies?

Regards
Sakhile, CHPC
J***@public.gmane.org
2014-09-23 20:29:42 UTC
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
When I first evaluated using SLURM, I spun up a half dozen or so VM’s on my laptop and built MUNGE and SLURM *.rpm’s from the latest distribution tarballs. It only took an afternoon or so to get going.

--jtc

2014-09-23 21:04:32 UTC
If a RedHat based OS is used, munge can be installed from EPEL.

I use a script [1] to build RPMs for SLURM in mock. It's somewhat site-specific but may provide a good starting place for someone who can read bash and wants ideas on how to build SLURM RPMs.

This may be less helpful , but if someone in your organization is familiar with Ruby and/or Puppet, you can try using the "beaker" rake task from my Puppet module [2].

Is there a license restriction any other reason that would make it "not okay" for me to post a link to pre-built SLURM RPMs?

- Trey

[1] https://gist.github.com/treydock/ed5cd81978cbb838cf88
[2] https://github.com/treydock/puppet-slurm

=============================

Trey Dockendorf
Systems Analyst I
Texas A&M University
Academy for Advanced Telecommunications and Learning Technologies
Phone: (979)458-2396
Sakhile, CHPC
Sakhile Masoka
Sakhile, CHPC
Trey Dockendorf
2014-09-23 20:38:33 UTC
As far as I know the only pre-built versions of SLURM are for Debian and Ubuntu.

You could run SLURM inside of VMs using Vagrant and Virtualbox. I use that method in both OS X and Linux to test out various configurations and to build RPMs for SLURM.

- Trey

Sakhile, CHPC
Danny Auble
2014-09-23 20:35:32 UTC
Check out

http://slurm.schedmd.com/faq.html#multi_slurmd

which doesn't require a cluster or extra nodes to emulate a cluster with
most of the bells and whistles.

Keep in mind Slurm will not run on Windows, but it should work on your Mac.
"dummy" slurm for PC