SLURM experience with high throughout of short-running jobs?
Holmes, Christopher (CMU)
2014-10-13 14:46:56 UTC
Hello,

Can anyone provide some information or experience with using SLURM to manage a high volume of short-running jobs (<60 seconds) on a large (2000+ node) cluster? Any rough numbers on throughput (ex. 1000+jobs scheduled per second) would be appreciated!

Thanks,
--Chris
j***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-13 16:44:42 UTC
That is highly configuration dependent. It is also notable that each
major releas eof Slurm over the past few years has been significantly
faster than the previous release. Generally you should be able to
sustain a few hundred jobs per second.
--
Morris "Moe" Jette
CTO, SchedMD LLC
Holmes, Christopher (CMU)
2014-10-14 01:53:44 UTC
Thanks Moe.

For further clarification, they are single-threaded jobs, and they may be in a job array. I noticed that the job array size is limited by its data type:

ctl_conf_ptr->max_array_sz = (uint16_t) NO_VAL;

Does anyone know if jobsteps in a batch script are limited in size? I’m guessing that they are unlimited.

I’m also guessing that job arrays and job steps have faster throughput capability since the resources are already scheduled. Is there much difference between jobsteps and job arrays in terms of throughput or scale?

Thanks,
--Chris

Morris "Mo
Uwe Sauter
2014-10-14 06:11:39 UTC
Hi Chris,

you're right that the job array size is limited to 64k in 14.03 and
before. With the upcoming 14.11 this limit is raised to 4M IIRC. You
could check this year's SLURM user group presentations
(http://slurm.schedmd.com/publications.html) where this was mentioned.

A far as I know there is no limit to the number of steps you can have in
your job script.

Regards,

Uwe
CTO, SchedMD LLC
j***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-14 15:27:40 UTC
Post by Holmes, Christopher (CMU)
Thanks Moe.
For further clarification, they are single-threaded jobs, and they
may be in a job array. I noticed that the job array size is limited
ctl_conf_ptr->max_array_sz = (uint16_t) NO_VAL;
That goes to 32-bits in version 14.11, but for various practical
reasons should be limited to 1M or so.
Post by Holmes, Christopher (CMU)
Does anyone know if jobsteps in a batch script are limited in size?
I’m guessing that they are unlimited.
The counter is a 32-bit field.
Post by Holmes, Christopher (CMU)
I’m also guessing that job arrays and job steps have faster
throughput capability since the resources are already scheduled. Is
there much difference between jobsteps and job arrays in terms of
throughput or scale?
The job arrays don't really help in throughput or scale until version
14.11. Both throughput and scale should be better with job steps than
job arrays, if the use case permits that.